Permits and reservations
The 2022 Chilkoot Trail experience will be limited to hiking the American or Canadian side of the trail only, as international travel along the trail corridor will continue to be prohibited. The reservation line will open April 25.
During the summer hiking season (June 1 to September 13), every person overnighting on the Chilkoot Trail, and day users on the Canadian portion of the Chilkoot Trail, require a permit. Those without required permits are subject to fines.
Permits are not required outside the summer hiking season. Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, cross-border hiking is currently not permitted.
Reserving your permits
The reservation line will open for the 2022 hiking season on April 25. Parks Canada is taking reservations for the American portion of the trail as well as the Canadian portion and Bennett Campground. Reservations are subject to campsite availability.
Rolling reservation schedule
To remain adaptable to the COVID-19 situation, Parks Canada will take reservations on a pre-determined rolling reservation schedule.
|Reservation window||Hiking dates|
|April 25 to 30||June 1 to 15|
|May 1 to 15||Up to and including June 30|
|May 16 to 31||Up to and including July 15|
|June 1 to 15||Up to and including July 31|
|June 16 to 30||Up to and including August 15|
|July 1 to 15||Up to and including August 31|
|July 16 to end of season||Up to and including September 13|
Monday to Friday, 9 am to 4 pm (Pacific Time)
- 1-800-661-0486 Canada and U.S.
- 1-867-667-3910 local and overseas
Before calling to reserve please ensure that you can provide us with the following information:
- Number of Adults (18 yrs+); Youth (6 to 17); and Children (5 yrs and under)
- Number of tent sites needed
- Your itinerary: desired dates and campgrounds
- Credit card information
Standard cancellation policy:
- Permit fees are refundable up to 3 weeks (21 days) in advance of your trip start date
- Reservation fees are non-refundable
- To cancel your reservation, call 1-800-661-0486 or 1-867-667-3910 and be prepared to provide Parks Canada with your booking number, the name the booking was made under, the number of permits being cancelled, and a phone number where we can reach you (should you leave a message)
COVID-19 related cancellations:
- Should Parks Canada need to cancel a reservation due to unforeseen COVID-19 restrictions, you will be reimbursed in full (permit and reservation fees)
- Should you need to cancel your reservation due to new COVID-19 travel restrictions that were unforeseen at the time of your reservation, you will be reimbursed in full (permit and reservation fees)
- Should you need to cancel your reservation for other COVID-19 related reasons, including existing COVID-19 travel restrictions that were in place at the time of your reservation, or contracting COVID-19, the standard policy (above) applies.
Maximum group size in Chilkoot Trail National Historic Site is limited to 12, or dictated by B.C.’s Outdoor Gatherings order at the time of your hike, whichever is lower. We encourage making reservations for small, core groups in the event restrictions tighten between time of reservation and your hike. Learn more about B.C. provincial restrictions on outdoor gatherings prior to your hike.