Park management

Kootenay National Park

Park Management Plan

Kootenay National Park Management Plan 2005-2010: highlights of the plan, Public Input 2010, implementation reports and State of the Park Report 2008.

Public engagement

Consultations, engagements, and formal invitations to provide feedback to Parks Canada for Kootenay National Park.

Contact us

Contact information for enquiries about Kootenay National Park. Visitor centre, park wardens and administration contact information and address.


Experience the Canadian Rockies by joining the Lake Louise, Yoho and Kootenay Parks Canada team! Learn more about current opportunities.


Guiding Documents
Kootenay Park Management Plan 2022

Kootenay Park Management Plan 2022

A management plan is a strategic guide for future management of a national park. It is required by legislation, guided by public consultation, approved by the Minister responsible for Parks Canada, and tabled in Parliament. It is the primary public accountability document for each national park.

Previous Park Management Plan:

State of the Park Assessment 2018

“State of the Park” assessments communicate the overall condition of key aspects of the park. These assessments are undertaken every ten years to identify key management issues for the next park management plan.

National Historic Site Management Plans 2007

National Historic Site Management Plans 2007

National historic sites commemorate the diversity of human experience and the legacy of thousands of years of human history. They mark the tangible cultural remains of the lives and stories of the people who forged Canada. The family of national historic sites is very large, encompassing more than 900 sites and representing every province and territory. Parks Canada administers more than 150 of these sites including fourteen sites in or near the mountain national parks.

Acts and regulations

Acts and regulations

Parks Canada’s legislation outlines its obligations and authorities with respect to the protected places under its responsibility. The Agency uses a wide range of tools to protect and present nationally significant examples of Canada’s natural and cultural heritage to connect Canadians to that heritage.

Public engagement
There are no public engagements underway in Kootenay National Park at this time. Questions about previous engagements can be directed to
Businesses and residents
Contact information

Contact information

Business services for Kootenay National Park are provided by Parks Canada. To serve you faster, the most commonly requested information is offered below. Still have questions? We look forward to assisting you.

Office hours: Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mountain. 
General inquiries: 403-522-1186
After-hours emergencies: Contact Park Dispatch at 403-762-1470

Business licenses

Business licenses

Any person providing goods or services in a national park, including guides, outfitters and non-profit organizations, must obtain a business licence. 

  • Does this apply to me? For the purposes of business licensing, “business” means any trade, industry, employment, occupation, activity or special event carried on in a park for profit, gain, fundraising or commercial promotion. This includes work carried out by charitable organizations or by an organization or individual on a non-profit basis.
  • What are the timelines and fees? Business licences require on average 7-10 business days to process. Business licencing fees vary depending on the type and size of the business. 
  • Why are licenses required? Licenses allow us to regulate activities to ensure they are consistent with Parks Canada’s mission and mandate and what Canadians expect of national parks. They also ensure we can share important information with you about work that may impact your business. 
  • Who should I contact? Contact or 403-522-1186 for more information. 
Leases and licenses of occupation

Leases and licenses of occupation

Any person who uses land for a business or residence in a national park requires a lease and/or license of occupation. National parks are owned by all Canadians and the land can be neither purchased nor sold.  

  • I have a lease and/or license of occupation. We welcome your questions about replacements, mortgage approvals, subleases and more. Please contact us at
  • I have never had a lease or license of occupation. Kootenay National Park currently has a moratorium on new commercial leases, therefore no new commercial leases can be issued.
Development and building applications

Development and building applications

All development and building projects in national parks require approval and may also require an impact assessment. Are you building or digging in a national park? Check with us first. 

  • Do I need development or building approval? Consult this Development FAQ for detailed information and please call the Development Office at 403-522-1266. We can help.
  • What is the difference between development versus building approvals? 
    • Development applications allow for review of the project concept to ensure the development proposal meets the various Acts, Regulations, Policies and Guidelines that Parks Canada is obliged to uphold. 
    • Building applications allow review of a broad range of projects, unlike those issued in a typical municipal setting, and cover the technical requirements for a construction project to ensure it can be completed safely and with minimal impact to the environment, adjacent leaseholders and the visiting public 
  • Why is an impact assessment also required? Parks Canada is mandated to protect natural and cultural resources in national parks. Impact assessments identify concerns and measures to mitigate adverse effects on these resources. Most development and construction projects in national parks impact people or the environment and are required by law to undergo an impact assessment.
  • Who approves my development and building application? Superintendents are responsible for approving development and building applications.
  • What are the timelines and fees? Timelines and fees vary depending on the complexity of the project and the estimated cost of construction. Consult this Development FAQ or contact us directly. 
  • Who should I contact? We welcome your questions. Contact
Staff housing

Staff housing

If you are a Parks Canada employee seeking information about staff housing, please reach out to your supervisor. For existing tenants, please contact our Housing Officer at 403-763-0736 or

Filmmakers and photographers

To film or photograph in the national parks, an application must be submitted to Parks Canada twenty days prior to activities. If approved, a permit will be issued which outlines conditions and supplementary requirements associated with the production. This information will help you prepare an application.

Special events

All special events including festivals, weddings and conferences require a special event permit.

Contact us at

Date modified :