Hours of operation
The Kootenay National Park Visitor Centre is located in the Village of Radium Hot Springs just outside the park’s west boundary. (Map) The visitor centre shares a building with Tourism Radium and the Friends of Kootenay.
- January 1 to April 30: Closed *
- May 1 to October 12: 9 am to 5 pm
- October 13 to December 31: Closed*
*Tourism Radium offers information services daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1.
Friends of Kootenay Gift Shop
Be sure to stop by the Friends of Kootenay Gift Shop for a momento of your Kootenay visit.
- January 1 to June 10: 9 am to 5 pm
- June 11 to September 6: 9 am to 7 pm
- September 7 to December 31: 9 am to 5 pm
Campgrounds, day use areas, and roads
Kootenay National Park is open year-round. The peak season is during July and August. Some Parks Canada services are only available from mid-May to early-October.
- The Banff-Windermere Highway (Hwy 93 south) runs the length of Kootenay National Park and is maintained by Parks Canada year round.
- Kootenay National Park’s campgrounds operate from mid-May until early October.
- All day use areas are located along the highway and are open during the summer.
- Many of the trailheads with outhouses are open during the winter.
Seasonal closures and restrictions
Additional closures and restrictions may happen at any time, in any location, and without prior notice. See the Superintendent's notices page for a current listing.
|Various||2015-2022||Various activities||Infrastructure improvements||Yes||Yes|
|Sinclair Creek and
Kindersley Pass Trail
|Late summer and through the fall||Hiking||Grizzly bears frequenting the area||-||Yes|
|Picnic and Day Use Areas: Numa Falls, Vermilion Crossing, Olive Lake, and Sinclair Creek**||Mid-October until Early May||All activities||Closed for the season||Yes||-|
|Campgrounds||Mid-October until Early May||All activities||Closed for the season||Yes||-|
**All other day use and picnic areas remain open, though they may not be plowed immediately after a snowfall.