804 - 18 Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2S, Canada
Reconnu formellement en:
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The Anderson Apartments building is a six-storey, red brick structure located on two lots in the Lower Mount Royal area of Calgary. Constructed in 1911, it is distinguished by its H-shaped design, entablature topped by a parapet and balustrade, and imposing main entrance consisting of a large classical pediment supported by stone pilasters.
The heritage value of the Anderson Apartments building lies in its association with Calgary's pre-World War One housing boom and its eclectic architectural style.
Between 1909 and 1913, Calgary's population more than doubled as agricultural and railway development in the region opened up new economic opportunities. The city's dramatic growth sparked a housing boom. The Anderson Apartments building was erected in 1911 and was one of several fashionable buildings constructed to accommodate the city's burgeoning entrepreneurial and managerial class. At the time it was built, the Anderson Apartments building was the tallest and largest multi-tenant structure in the city.
The Anderson Apartments building is distinguished by its unique layout and marriage of diverse architectural styles. Its H-shaped design, though popular elsewhere, was the only one of its kind in Calgary. The eclectic architecture features numerous classical elements, including a rusticated brick foundation, a cornice topped by an elaborate parapet and balustrade, and a large pediment supported by stone pilasters framing the main entryway. The influence of the English Arts and Crafts movement is also evident in the extensive use of unifying oak, brass, and marble decorative features. The overall effect is one of luxury and elegance.
Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch (File: Des. 1013)
The character-defining elements of the exterior of the Anderson Apartments building include such features as:
- H-shaped plan, symmetrical massing, and scale;
- rusticated brick foundation;
- brick facades and quoins, stone trim window ledges and headers;
- fenestration pattern, including banks of symmetrically placed bay windows;
- entrance doors;
- stone cornice, parapet, balustrade;
- large classical pediment supported by stone pilasters framing main entrance;
- sidewalk to front entrance.
The character-defining elements of the interior of the Anderson Apartments building include such features as:
- brass bird cage elevator;
- mission oak baseboards and door frames;
- wrought iron central stair newel posts and balustrades;
- ornate brass and metal railings between floors;
- original oak and marble floors;
- brass decorative elements;
- oak doors, 3.66 metre high ceilings, hardwood floors, and ceiling mouldings;
- brass hardware, built-in China cabinets, pass-through panel between kitchen and dining room, cast-iron claw tubs, wall-hung basins.
Autorité de reconnaissance
Province de l'Alberta
Historical Resources Act
Type de reconnaissance
Ressource historique provinciale
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
- L'architecture et l'aménagement
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Édifice à logements multiples
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1013)
Réfère à une collection