Remains of the two Saint-Louis châteaux
Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site
The first Château Saint-Louis
Digs have uncovered part of the foundation of the eastern wall of the first Château Saint-Louis, built by the first official governor of the colony, Charles Huault de Montmagny, in 1648. The southeastern corner of the first building consisted of large squared stone from Cap Diamant itself.
The second Château Saint-Louis
The excavations revealed several major remains from the second Château Saint-Louis, built in 1694 by Frontenac and completed in 1719-1723 by Vaudreuil senior:
The basements, whose walls and bases of the archways remain.
- The two latrine wings, one at each end of the building
- The culinary complex, which included a pantry, kitchen and servants' hall.
- Polished limestone flagstones
- Two hearths.
- A wooden floor in the kitchen and wash house (installed in 1723).
After the Conquest, all these rooms underwent significant changes. Many remains were found that bear witness to the changes:
- A set of six masonry pillars that supported the château's terrace and also served as buttresses (1775-1777)
- A bread oven (reconstructed in 1808-1811)
- Sandstone flagstones from several rooms in the basement (renovated in 1816)
- A new drain in the pantry (1816)
- Date modified :