How to apply
The application period for the 2022-2023 Parks Canada Youth Ambassadors is now closed. The next application period will open in the Fall of 2022.
Parks Canada is looking to hire up to 6 Youth Ambassadors! This amazing opportunity is for youth to share Canada’s natural and cultural heritage with other youth both locally and nationally.
Youth Ambassadors = more engagement, more collaborations and more discoveries!
The opportunity: share Parks Canada’s stories and places to encourage and inspire young Canadians to get outside, learn, experience, and appreciate Canada’s rich natural and cultural heritage.
We are looking for movers and shakers! In other words, we seek candidates who want to be the voice of youth, to present what Parks Canada is about in a new and highly creative way, and who are social media savvy.
Do you enjoy meeting new people and establishing meaningful connections? Are you passionate about Canada’s natural and cultural heritage and want to share it with other young Canadians? Do you enjoy experiencing new places and are a talented communicator? Then this challenge is for YOU! Plus, if teleworking has become a second-nature to you, then wherever you are in Canada, don’t miss this opportunity to apply!
Parks Canada Youth Ambassadors Program 2022-23
External Relations and Visitor Experience
Outreach and Marketing Branch
The onus is on the candidate to submit an application that addresses directly the screening requirements of the competition (education and experience). Candidates will not be solicited for incomplete or missing information. Failure to do so may result in your application being rejected.
*All communication throughout the entire staffing process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications*
Positions to be filled: up to 6
The application process is open from November 10, 2021 to November 28, 2021, 11:59 pm EST.
To apply for these positions, here is what you need:
- Your resume (in a .pdf format)
- A cover letter where you’ll:
- Copy-paste the five (5) experience bullets (see below) and explain how you meet these experience criteria. (Maximum of 150 words/experience.)
- Indicate if you have previous work or volunteer experience with Parks Canada
- A one (1) minute introduction video that includes:
- A quick introduction
- Your name
- Where you are from
- Your place and program of studies.
- Your answer to the following question:
- How are you currently involved or engaged (or have you been involved in the past) in your community, region or province and how would that contribute to make you the best Youth Ambassador?
- A quick introduction
- If you are able to speak English or French as a second language, we want to hear some of it! (We are not evaluating your level of second language.)
- Upload your video file to YouTube and provide us with the link. Whether the video is public or unlisted is up to you
- The format and style of the video are totally up to you. Be creative!
For any questions connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Intent of the process
This process may be used for hiring other student jobs within Parks Canada across Canada.
Applicants will be screened against the following criteria and must clearly indicate that they meet all the established criteria.
- Applicants must be registered as a full-time student in a recognized post-secondary program
- Applicants must have completed one year of full-time post-secondary education by May 2022
- Applicants must be returning to full-time post-secondary education, in Canada, in September 2022
- English or French Essential
- Asset: bilingualism
- Experience in youth engagement and mobilizing your peers
- Youth, in the context of this work, is defined by an audience aged 18-24 years old (Post-Secondary Young Adults). We are expecting that the youth ambassadors will engage with their peers and get them excited about Parks Canada
- Experience in networking, developing relationships and collaborating, in a work related or community based context
- Experience in organizing and delivering public events, presentations and/or activities, either virtually or in-person
- Experience in writing for and managing various social media platforms
- Experience in producing multimedia content (photo, video, GIF, posters, infographics, etc.) to be published on social media channels
- Previous work or volunteer experience with Parks Canada
The following criteria will be assessed at a later date (essential for the job).
- Knowledge of Parks Canada’s places, mandate, priorities and programs
- Knowledge of social media trends, tools and best practices
- Knowledge of photo and video editing software
- Knowledge of the Adobe suite
- Ability to promote in creative and innovative ways, both in-person and virtually
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to collaborate with various networks
- Ability to organize work and manage time
- Ability to work independently while fostering team work
Personal Suitability and Leadership Attributes
- Strives for excellence
- Personally connects with people
- Makes things happen
Conditions of employment
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada. Applicants must be a Canadian Citizen or have the legal documentation to work in Canada. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit
- Be available for work full time from early May 2022 to the end of August 2022, then part-time from September 2022 to March 2023, in Canada
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Obtain the appropriate security level. Your security level must be maintained throughout your employment with Parks Canada Agency
- All Parks Canada Agency employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground of discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
- Willingness to work and/or travel in varied terrain, weather conditions, isolated locations and by various means of transportation
- Willingness to wear a Parks Canada uniform, if required
- Requirement to work irregular hours, overtime, evenings, weekends and/or statutory holidays and provincial/territorial holidays, when required
- Willingness to travel extensively, including overnight, for multiple days and/or weekends
- Willingness to telework throughout the duration of the contract
Parks Canada is a federal government agency responsible for the protection and presentation of Canada’s outstanding natural and cultural resources through a system of national parks, national marine conservation areas and national historic sites in all regions of Canada.
Are you someone who enjoys working in a job where you make a difference? Have you ever thought of a career in support of one of Canada’s iconic places? Then, Parks Canada is the place for you.
We are seeking highly dedicated, professional, enthusiastic and proud Canadians who, every day of the year, make it their mission to share some of the very best of Canada with Canadians and with visitors from around the world.
On behalf of the people of Canada, we protect and present nationally significant examples of Canada's natural and cultural heritage, and foster public understanding, appreciation and enjoyment in ways that ensure the ecological and commemorative integrity of these places for present and future generations.
Watch this video and get an idea of what Parks Canada is all about!
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
On November 8th, 2021, the Parks Canada Agency announced the details of its vaccination requirement for all employees.
As per the Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for Parks Canada Agency, employees must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to indeterminate, determinate (term), casual, as and when required, and student hiring (full-time, part-time and seasonal). Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to ensure terms and conditions of employment are met, the hiring manager or a human resources representative will contact you in order to complete a vaccination attestation form.
- Date modified :