Culture and history
Obadjiwan–Fort Témiscamingue National Historic Site
More than three centuries ago, in 1720, the authorities of New France allowed the establishment of the first trading post on the current site.
Fort Témiscamingue was a major fur trading post for over 200 years. In the 18th century, it played a strategic role in the fight between the French and English for the monopoly of the fur trade in the upper Ottawa River and the Hudson Bay watersheds.
Today, this historic site contains historical, archaeological and natural resources. Photos and scenographies show us clearly where the buildings were located, most of them dating back to the 1840–1880 period. Archaeological digs have uncovered the remains of numerous buildings and a large number of artifacts. Older Indigenous traces were also revealed. Archaeological data confirm that the site was used for about 6,000 years during occasional spring and summer occupations by the Anicinabeg (Algonquin).
The National Historic Site, although heavily vegetated in its current state, has been shaped by longstanding human occupation, whether Algonquin, French, Scottish, English or Canadian. Many remains bear witness to this. It should be added that the current appearance of the vegetation landscape is largely inherited from the forest harvests of the 19th century.
- Date modified :