Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site
The archaeological crypt located under Dufferin Terrace provides the answers to many questions about life at the time of the French and English regimes. Between 1620 and 1834, it was here that the official residences and seats of power of the governors were located. The remains of Château Saint-Louis, its outbuildings and culinary complex help us go back in time and better understand the governor's functions as well as the lifestyle of the site's inhabitants.
For more than 200 years of French and then English rule in Quebec, the Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux served as the official residence and seat of power for most governors.
The Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux site is complex. It consists of three elements: the forts, châteaux and gardens. There were a total of four forts and two châteaux. After the last château burned, the ruins gave way to three successive terraces.
The archeological research project currently underway at the Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site began in June 2005. The final exploratory campaign was conducted in the summer of 2007. The three digs confirmed the site's historical significance. Many architectural remains were excavated.
- Date modified :