Fishing / Angling

Yoho National Park

All waterbodies are closed

To prevent the spread of whirling disease, all waterbodies in Yoho and Kootenay national parks are closed to watercraft and angling until March 31, 2025.

The watercraft and angling closure applies to all lakes, streams and rivers in Yoho and Kootenay national parks. Violators face fines up to $25,000 under the Canada National Parks Act.

View the Restricted Activity Order to learn more.

Why are waterbodies closed?

On October 27, 2023, Parks Canada closed all water access in Yoho and Kootenay national parks following the detection of the whirling disease parasite in Yoho National Park. This was the first detection of whirling disease in British Columbia. Whirling disease was also detected in Emerald Lake, the Kicking Horse River, Wapta Lake, Finn Creek, Monarch Creek and the confluence of Emerald and Kicking Horse Rivers.

To reduce the risk of further spread of whirling disease, all waterbodies in Yoho and Kootenay national parks are closed to watercraft and angling until March 31, 2025. The closures will help protect vulnerable fish species, including trout and kokanee populations.

What is whirling disease?

Three young fish with crooked tails and bulging eyes.

The parasite that causes whirling disease is an aquatic invasive species (AIS). Symptoms of whirling disease include skeletal deformities, bulging eyes, and a dark or black tail. The disease can be spread to other waterbodies through spores in mud. This disease is not harmful to humans or other mammals but can have significant effects on some fish populations, including several trout species and Kokanee. In some cases, mortality rates in young fish have reached 90 per cent.

Preventing AIS such as whirling disease from entering waterways is a Parks Canada priority. AIS pose a significant threat to the health of national parks and their vital aquatic ecosystems. These species disrupt and irreversibly damage aquatic ecosystems and affect vulnerable species at risk. They can also spread downstream beyond park boundaries through interconnected river systems. Once established in a waterbody, removal of AIS is next to impossible.

Where can I go fishing in the national parks?

Watercraft access varies across the national parks. Check regulations and plan ahead before your visit.

Find information about fishing in other mountain national parks in the 2024/25 Mountain National Park Fishing Regulations brochure, or online:

For a complete listing, please refer to the National Parks of Canada Fishing Regulations.

Contact us:

For further information: Call 403-522-3833 or email

Report suspicious activities: Call 403-762-1470

Report AIS sightings: Take a picture, note the location, and send it to

Report AIS sightings outside of the national parks: Call 1-855-336-2628 (BOAT) in Alberta or 1-888-933-3722 in British Columbia.

Date modified :