Realty and Townsite services

Riding Mountain National Park

Wasagaming is a picturesque townsite with interesting heritage and architecture, the perfect place to stay when exploring Riding Mountain National Park. Camping, accommodation rentals, recreational and watersports complimented by great dining and shopping are all conveniently located on the shores of Clear Lake and nature’s doorstep.

Wasagaming Townsite – Information update

  • The Administration Office will be open to visitors Monday to Friday 9 am to 12 pm & 12:30 pm to 3 pm. We can also be reached by phone: 204-848-7275 or email:

Frequently asked questions

Are businesses in Wasagaming open?

Many businesses in Wasagaming remain open and accessible to the public.

Do businesses need to renew their business licences if they are closed?

Business licences are required for a business to operate as a valid business in the townsite. Any business that plans to open (including restaurants that may offer take out or delivery services) must renew its business licence prior to opening. If a business is closed, it is not necessary to renew the business licence as long as the business remains closed.

I am an event organizer, can I still hold my event in the park?

Parks Canada values the contributions of third party event organizers in national parks. To support Canada’s efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19, Parks Canada has suspended group activities and events at all Parks Canada places across the country until further notice.

Can I still get a building permit, business licence or other paperwork related to my lease?

Townsite staff are monitoring telephone and e-mail messages away from the office. Leaseholders can expect some delays in obtaining permits or other documentation. All efforts are being made to complete these types of transactions in a timely manner.

Please contact the following staff for:

  • Business Licence inquiries:
  • Lease transaction inquiries:
  • Development permit inquiries:
  • Realty Advisor:

  • Townsite Manager: (204) 848-7243,
How do I make a payment for Parks Canada invoices?

  • Via credit card at (204) 848-7275; If no one is available via phone please leave a message and we will get back to you.
  • By mail: Riding Mountain National Park, Box 299, Onanole, MB R0J 1N0

Please call the Realty Administration staff if you have questions about any of these areas:

  • Residential and Commercial
  • Development and Building Applications
  • Compliance Monitoring
  • Leases and Licences of Occupation
  • Business Licencing Services
  • Guiding and Outfitting Licencing Services
  • Utility Billing
  • Stakeholder Groups

A complete list of Parks Canada Fees can be found in the Canada Gazette


Hours of operation
Monday to Friday 9 am to 12 pm & 12:30 pm to 3 pm.
Parks Canada Administration Office
Riding Mountain National Park
135 Wasagaming Drive
Wasagaming, MB

Phone: 204-848-7275
Important bulletins (Public Notices) when the situation requiring a notice arises


National Planning Permit Process

Have your say… Parks Canada has launched consultation on the pre-publication of the proposed National Parks of Canada Land Use Planning Regulations open until October 30th, 2023 along with Consultations on Fees and Service Standards, open until November 22, 2023 -

When is a Permit Required?

  • Constructing, altering or renovating any building, garage or accessory structure such as a shed or a deck
  • Connection to the water/sewer system
  • Demolishing or moving a building
  • Expanding or renovating your store, shop, office or commercial enterprise
  • Changing the use of a lot or building
  • Installing, changing or relocating a sign
  • Changing the landscaping or grading (including tree removal)

Why are permits important?

Obtaining the proper permits for your project ensures that your project complies with Parks Canada’s plans, policies, park guidelines and environmental impacts.

To reach a development officer, please call 204-848-7275 or email Meetings are available by appointment only.

When is a Sign Permit Required?

A sign permit is required to install, alter or relocate any sign including wall/window and hanging signs, canopy/awning signs, directory and menu signs and free standing signs.

Guiding Legislation/Regulations links

National Parks Buildings Regulations

National Parks of Canada Cottages Regulations

National Parks Signs Regulations

Wasagaming Community Plan


Please contact us for additional information including building guidelines for the cabin and cottage area.



Our Realty office will assist you with all aspects of leases and licences of occupation for cabin, cottage, north shore and commercial areas.

Please contact us when:

  1. Updating your mailing address and/or other contact information.

  2. Selling or buying (commonly called Assignment of Lease). This includes:
    1. All lessees selling to another person or persons, or a corporation.
    2. One or more lessees selling their Tenant in Common share of the lease.
    3. Removing names from a lease, or adding names to the lease.
    4. The sale of shares of a commercial lease.
  3. Circumstances that will affect your lease:
    1. Changing your legal name due to marriage, divorce or other.
    2. A lessee has passed away.
    3. Change the tenancy stated on your lease (between Joint Tenants or Tenants in Common).
    4. Changing directors with signing authority (when the lease is held by a corporation).
    5. The lessee’s control and authority has been given over to a Public Trustee or Guardian.
  4. Power of Attorney giving authority to others to manage your lease or other form of written instruction.
  5. Estate planning – options for your specific lease.
  6. Commercial Lessees are transacting with tenants and need to register a sublease.
  7. Mortgaging your lease and/or discharging an existing mortgage. All mortgages must be registered with Parks Canada.

Please note that assignments and mortgages are NOT registered with the Manitoba Land Titles Office and must be submitted to the Parks Canada office only.

Please contact the Realty office with these or any other questions

Permits and Licences

Working in Riding Mountain National Park

National Parks of Canada Businesses Regulations

Business licences

A business licence is required for all businesses, companies, guides and/or outfitters prior to operating in Riding Mountain National Park.

Parks Canada issues the following licences and permits:

  • Business licences
  • Guiding/Outfitters licences
  • Special events permits

** Each contractor and sub-contractor requires their own business licence to work in the park. **

New Business Proposal: If you are proposing a new business in Riding Mountain or changing the scope of an existing business please contact us.

Changes to your business licence

Please contact us for any of the following business changes:

  • Transfer to another owner (a new business licence application must be completed by the new owner)
  • Change to business name or contact information
  • Change of address or work site location
  • Change to nature of the business
  • Addition to the existing business

Business Licence Renewals

Business licence renewals will be processed on or after April 1st of each year. Parks Canada will send a renewal letter and invoice late in March with instructions on how to renew your licence.

Most common business licence fees in Riding Mountain National Park

Non-Resident Contractor $102.25
Trades – each tradesperson $8.25
Clothing Store $61.50
General Merchandising $245.50
Tour Business, Bus Service $46.00
Visitor Accommodation $102.25
Other Business Licence $61.50
Evacuation guide



pdf-icon Download an Evacuation Guide (PDF 5 MB)