Culture and history
Batoche National Historic Site
In 1872, a Métis merchant by the name of Xavier Letendre established a ferry service on the east bank of the South Saskatchewan River, at the site of the village that would later bear his nickname, “Batoche”.
At this strategic point, where the trail from Winnipeg to Fort Carlton crossed the river, he built a store and warehouses and began a business that would soon become one of the most successful commercial ventures in the North-West.
The Batoche and St. Laurent areas were home to approximately 1,200 settlers, the majority of which were Métis. In 1872 the Village of Batoche was established when Xavier Letendre opened a ferry crossing and built a store. By 1884 the Batoche area grew to approximately fifty family river lots.
Vegetation used for healing and ceremonial purposes can still be found along the system of hiking trails. Dandelion, juniper, prairie sage, and a profusion of wildflowers abound.
- Date modified :