Eastward along the Quay

Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site

The stone house with the rows of dormers belonged to two surgeons, LaGrange and his son-in-law Bertin. They set bones, stitched wounds, and administered bleedings and potions, but they were powerless when smallpox struck in 1732-33. With inoculation unknown here and vaccination undiscovered, the annual death rate in these years tripled to 75, and half the victims were children.

Le Billard

Beyond the surgeons’ house, the Beauséjour home and storehouse included a tavern called "Le Billard”. This establishment catered to the well-to-do of Louisbourg and their taste for gambling. Here visiting captains and merchants, waiting for their vessel to be reloaded for the return voyage to Quebec, France, or the West Indies, could play cards or other games of chance.

Marguerite Dugas, the widow Beauséjour, was the proprietress of this establishment in 1744. Born in Acadia, she came to Louisbourg shortly after its founding, the widow of a privateer captain with three young children. Her second husband François Cressonet dit Beauséjour built this tavern, which she operated since his death in 1742 with the help of her Irish servant Salle Forlan. She was surrounded by family in Louisbourg, as many of her grown children and the children of her cousin, Joseph Dugas, live nearby.

DeLort Property

The blocks beyond were decidedly commercial. Guillaume Delort, a business leader from Louisbourg’s earliest days, lived on Rue Royale hut his large warehouse and retail store ran down to the quayfront. The buildings beyond his belonged to the merchant-baker Claude Morin, business partners Blaise Cassagnolles and Bernard Detcheverry, and butcher-innkeeper Maurice Santier.

Chevalier House

The dressmaking widow Chevalier lived in the block that corners the quay. Behind her lived Nicolas Baron, who ran his fishing operations on the gravel bar beyond the pond. The other buildings in this block were storehouses for merchants and retailers living elsewhere in the town. In the 1750s a coalyard was established here. Far off on the left a lonely guardhouse stands sentinel over the ruins of a harbour battery, the Pièce de la Grave.

The reconstructed site
Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site
Fortress of Louisbourg - Reconstructed buildings
On the map Building name
1 Desroches House (Wheelchair accessible)
- Dauphin Gate
- Dauphin Demi-Bastion
2 Powder Magazine
3 Barracks
4 Postern Tunnel
5 Embrasures at Lartigue
6 Lartigue House (Wheelchair accessible)
- Lime Kiln
7 Artillery Storehouse
8 Artillery Forge
9 King's Bakery Food service
- Woodlot
10 Duhaget House (Wheelchair accessible)
Garrison and Fortifications Exhibit
- Icehouse
11 De la Perelle House (Wheelchair accessible)
Congrégation de Notre-Dame Exhibit
12 De la Perelle Storehouse
13 Engineer's Residence
14 Laundry and Stables
15 Rodrigue House
16 Rodrigue Storehouse
17 De Gannes House (Wheelchair accessible)
18 Guardhouse
- King's Bastion
19 Military Chapel
20 Governor's Apartments
Fortress of Louisbourg - Reconstructed buildings
On the map Building name
21 King's Bastion Barracks
Reconstruction, Tools of War, and Archeological Typography Exhibits
- King's Garden
22 McLennan Centre (Wheelchair accessible) (Wifi available)
Virtual Reality Experience
23 De la Plagne (Wheelchair accessible) (Information)
24 De la Vallière House
Mi'kmaw Interpretive Centre
25 De la Vallière Storehouse
26 De la Vallière Storehouse II
- Fizel and Loppinot Properties
- Dugas House
27 Carrerot House
Building Techniques Exhibit
28 Benoist House (Wheelchair accessible) (Gift shop)
29 L'Épée Royale Café (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
30 King's Storehouse
31 Hôtel de la Marine (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
32 Grandchamp House (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
- Frédéric Gate
- Carcan
33 Grandchamp Inn (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
- Destouches House
34 Ordonnateur's Residence (Wheelchair accessible)
Recollecting Lives Exhibit & Harbour Gallery
35 Bigot Storehouse
36 Stables
- Louisbourg Cross
37 Marie Marguerite Rose plaque
- Eastward along the Quay
- Ruins Walk
Date modified :